Nov 8, 2022
It ain't easy, being cheesy 🧀
I cannot think of a better meal for the cold weather than a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup. Nothing fancy, just a hearty meal that takes me back to my childhood coming in from sledding to a piping hot bowl of soup and delicious melty grilled cheese.
PREP TIME: 5 mins
TOTAL TIME: 15 mins
· 5 tbsp. butter softened,
· 4 slices of sourdough bread
· 2 cups shredded cheddar
Step 1 Spread 1 tablespoon of butter on one side of each slice of bread. With butter side down, top each slice of bread with about ½ cup cheddar.
Step 2 In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add two slices of bread, butter side down. Cook until the bread is golden, and the cheese is starting to melt about 2 minutes. Flip one piece of bread on top of the other and continue to cook until the cheese is melty, about 30 seconds more.
Step 3 Repeat for the second sandwich, wiping the skillet clean if necessary.
Best Grilled Cheese by MAKINZE GORE
Simple Tomato Soup
This easy tomato soup is my go-to recipe. It's simple and delicious, ready in 30 minutes, and I give leftovers to my kids for lunch. I usually serve it with rosemary bread for dunking.
Recipe by barbara
· 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 onion, thinly sliced
· 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
· 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
· 1 cup water
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· ¼ teaspoon celery seed
· ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
· 1 pinch red pepper flakes
· salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook onion and garlic until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, water, sugar, celery seed, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Reheat soup until warm and season with salt and pepper.
Use Italian San Marzano tomatoes for the best flavor.
This soup can be made vegan by substituting margarine or 2 tablespoons of olive oil for the butter.
If desired, you can add cream, but my family likes it the way it is.