Aug 20, 2023
Switch Up Your Burger Game | Patty Melts
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 bunch scallions (6 to 8 scallions), root ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon plus a pinch of kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon plus a pinch of black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles plus 3 teaspoon adobo sauce from can
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Bakery white or rye sandwich bread
- 8 - 1 ounce slices of Oaxaca cheese (quesillo) or Monterey Jack cheese
- Shape ground beef into four thin patties to match the size and shape of bread slices. Set aside.
- Toss in a bowl with scallions, oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of black pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add scallions; cook, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer scallions to a cutting board and coarsely chop. Stir chopped scallions, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, chipotle chiles, and adobo sauce in a small bowl; set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Add butter to skillet; melt over medium-high. Add beef patties, and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook patties, pressing tops occasionally using a spatula to keep cakes thin and flat, until bottoms are well browned, about 2 minutes. Flip patties; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook patties, pressing tops occasionally, until a crust forms on the bottoms and beef is cooked to the desired degree of doneness, 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare (about 145°F). Transfer the patties to a plate lined with paper towels. Wipe skillet clean.
- Spread about one tablespoon of scallion-chipotle mayonnaise on four bread slices. Top each with one cheese slice, patty, and cheese slice. Cover with remaining bread slices.
- Return the skillet to heat over medium. Spread one outer side of each sandwich with 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise; place sandwiches, mayonnaise side down, in skillet.
- Cook sandwiches, pressing tops with a spatula, until bottoms are golden, 1 minute and 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Spread the top of each sandwich with 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise; flip the sandwiches.
- Cook sandwiches, pressing tops occasionally with a spatula, until the bottoms of sandwiches are toasty and the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cut sandwiches in half, and serve.